- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced
- 1 stick real salted Butter
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Half-and-half
- 2 heads Broccoli Cut Into Florets
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 3 cups Grated Cheese Monterrey Jack but you can use any
- Small Dash Of Salt (more If Needed)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth If Needed For Thinning
- 1Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add the onions. Cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so, then pour in milk and half-and-half. Add nutmeg, then add broccoli, a small dash of salt, and plenty of black pepper.
- 2Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
- 3Taste seasonings and adjust if needed. Serve as is. Or I use my immersion blender and blend it up more.Croutons? YES PLEASE!
Cut french bread into squares the night before. Allow to sit out uncovered over night. Then melt 1 stick of butter. Add to melted butter 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Toss bread chunks to coat. Then place on cookie sheet and bake under broiler until just toasted.